[Question #2039] Can this only be caused by STD?

Avatar photo
86 months ago

Hello DR after a recent non protected sexual encounter I had red irritating foreskin, I went for full urine test and diagnosed with Ureaplasma urealyticum, 10^5 CFU/mL.

·      Is this actually a STD and can you only get this via sexual contact? Is there any other way of getting this? There is a lot of contradicting evidence online. The most credible article I read was this: http://medind.nic.in/iau/t15/i2/iaut15i2p205.htm

·      The doc has given me Monoclarium 200mg 2 times a day (400mg) and Doxycycline 100mg 2 times a day (200mg) for a total of 14 days. I have found a lot of references regarding Doxycyline but not Monoclarium is this effective treatment? He also gave me a cream for the red irritated skin.

aLaIs there a tablet form of these pills, the doc has given me capsules and I find it hard to swallow. Unfortunately from what the packet say I cant dissolve or crush the granules.

·       Could the Red burning irritated skin be a sign of a different STD? i.e. Herpes? There have been no ulcers, just general discomfort/pain in the testicles. I didn’t perform any additional STD blood tests other than Urine.

IASI am in a long term relationship and not sure if this Ureaplasma was present before or after the encounter. I have had sex with my partner since so I am assuming that she would also need to be treated for this? if not it would be a vicious cycle.

tHanks for your response

Avatar photo
Edward W. Hook M.D.
86 months ago
Welcome to the Forum. I'll try to help.  Ureaplasmas (there are several species) are normal bacteria found in 40-80% of adult urogenital tracts and despite much scientific study have not been shown to cause disease in normal adults.  Most experts would not usually test for them and if found, would not treat them.  When ureaplasmas are treated, treatment may make the organisms go away for a brief period but the soon return.  Monoclarium is clarithromycin and like doxycycline is active against ureaplasmas in the laboratory but cultures typically once again become positive soon after completion of treatment.  I would not worry about your positive test and feel it does not require treatment.

I presume that the red irritation you describe appeared soon after sex.  What you describe does not sound like an STI.  Friction occurring during sex can cause irritation and so can penile fungal infections.  if this is a fungal infection, it should be easily treatable with a topical anti-fungal cream or powder. 

I hope that this information is helpful to you. I doubt that what you are describing is an STI and I would not suggest treatment of your partner for anything you have described.  EWH