[Question #3526] Left out details. Follow up: Question: #3487. HSV Risk

37 months ago
A follow up on question #3487.

I’m was quite cool after the comforting reply on question #3488 on risk of HSV. But now am beginning to worry again as I think I may have left out a key details come to think of it.

Here’s the scenario. 6 weeks back I went to a masseur who gave me a hand job, followed by a quick kiss to my penis head. Prior to that,
She was licking my nipples, groin, testicles and [shaft of the penis] & not the penis head (apart from the quick kiss described above). I am Asian Chinese & not circumcised if that helps. And I was actually protecting my penis head (my hand holding my foreskin & preventing her from reaching my penis head) during the episode. She was also wet licking my lips (with my mouth closed) so it was one sided. 

As I revisit the expert’s comments, I noticed she mentioned with the shaft of penis is considered a “thin skin”. Now is my risk heightened now? I have no symptoms yet after 6 weeks.

There wasn’t any oral & my penis was never in her mouth. But she was indeed licking my testicles & the mid to bottom part of my penis.  Is the penis skin considered “thick” enough? I’m Asian Chinese & Not circumcised, does that help? I would think the skin of the non-circumcised penis is about as thick as the testicles...

Pls help to advise & I really appreciates this. Thank you thank you!!!
37 months ago
Apologies. It’s Question #3487; and NOT #3488. 
37 months ago
Just to provide more details: the lick was done to my outer penis foreskin, and at no point she touches my inner foreskin; with the exception of the quick 2 seconds kiss. Thanks & worried :( 
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
37 months ago
The shaft of the penis, even with a foreskin, can be vulnerable to infection.  However, your description of the incident still is not very worrisome to me given that the contact was so limited and the fact that you have had no symptoms at all six weeks out. 
Have you ever in your life had a cold sore on your lip? I'm not sure if I asked you that before.

Terri
---
37 months ago
Thanks Terri. 

I never had cold sores in my life. And whilst I know igG sensitivity on HSV1 is low, my previous tests have been negative <0.2 for both HSV1 & 2. The most recent test being 2 weeks back (4 weeks since exposure), and previous one done back in August 2017.

I’m just super worry because I’m getting married soon & this episode is so far the biggest mistake of my life... I really love my fiancé and really hope I can turn the page over :(

Anyway, on the point that you’ve raised, I have been reading up a lot & came across past articles by Dr. HHH & Dr. Hook that mentioned if no past cold sores & no symptoms for 2-3 weeks after exposure, then I should be clear, is that correct? But I also read online that most HSV are assumptomatic. Can you enlighten me on this part?

Most importantly, in your opinion,
Am I alright? And shall I continue my IgG test? 

Thank you & I can’t begin to thank you for taking time in responding to me.

Thank you, thank you! 
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
37 months ago
I've looked back at your post and I really think the risk here is very very limited if any. 
If you have never been infected with HSV 1 in the past, I believe if you contracted it at this encounter, and as carefully as you are watching, you likely would have recognized symptoms if you had any.  Most people really aren't totally asymptomatic - they are just missing minor symptoms and confusing their herpes symptoms with something else. 
I do think you are alright though obviously I can't say 100%, it's pretty darn close!  You could retest at 6 weeks out and then if negative call it good.

Terri
---
37 months ago
Hi Terri, Thanks for your comforting words.

I actually did went for a 6 weeks test (42 days) and the results just came back as follows:

HSV Type 1 IgG Ab <0.2 Negative
HSV Type 2 IgG Ab <0.2 Negative

I don’t think I have any symptoms & I have been checking on a daily basis. I have been reading your Herpes handbook & am vigorously on the look out specifically on sores / lesions on genitals, enlarged lymph nodes on groin, bumps & sores on lips or pain in urination; which I have none so far (Today is my 47 days post exposure now).

In your opinion, are there anything else (other possible symptoms apart from the above) that I may need to take note / monitor moving forward? 

I read from past posts that 6 weeks IgG negative are >70% accurate - is this true?

And once again, Do you think I’m good & can move forward now? 

Thank you very much. 
37 months ago
Hi Terri - Just to add on - today (week 7 / day 50), I’ve some tingling & slightly painful lips (I’m having dry lips & hoping this is because of that) & has nothing to do with the HSV concern).  

Can you let me know if this can be any of the HSV symptoms too? Thank you thank you.

By the way, My local doctor suggests that I should have no further concerns having no symptoms, and with a consistent negative <0.2 HSV1 & 2 on week 4 & 6. I tend to believe in you more - can you let me know that in your opinion, shall I call it good now [especially now with some painful lips (only happened today)] or it’s best to retest come week 12? Thanks.
37 months ago
Sorry Terri - just to add that the tingling / very slight numbness is focusing around the area between the upper lip & nose (philtrum I think)... there’re also some slight tingling sensation on chin, face... 

I’m super worried now :( is it cold sore? Is it possible to now have a cold sore outbreak (I never had HSV 1) 7 weeks after potential exposure? :(
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
37 months ago
You can retest at 12 weeks but there is a 70% chance that your 6 week test result will be your final result.  If you have HSV 1, it is not likely to be a new infection this far out from the encounter, no.  And remember that the IgG test misses 30% of HSV 1 infections.  When a persons' only real symptoms are tingling and slight numbness, I honestly don't worry much at all - almost everyone with only these symptoms end up testing negative for HSV 2.

Terri
---