[Question #6] Recommended STI tests

Avatar photo
108 months ago

As a gay man I hear a lot about testing for HIV and hepatitis; what about other STIs? Please tell me what tests I should be thinking about.

Avatar photo
moderator1 moderator1
108 months ago

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend the following tests at least once each year for men who have sex with men (MSM):

  • HIV
  • Syphilis
  • Gonorrhea and chlamydia of the urethra (tube in the penis)
  • Gonorrhea and chlamydia of the rectum for those who had insertive anal sex in the last year
  • Gonorrhea of the throat for anyone who performed oral sex in the last year
  • MSM are also recommended to be tested for hepatitis B, and to get vaccines against hepatitis A and hepatitis B. Additionally, HPV vaccines are recommended for both males and females up to age 26

Depending on your own risk factors, more frequent testing may be recommended. Talk to your healthcare provider about sexual health, and ask them what tests they think you should have. For help finding a clinic in tune with your needs, visit the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association online.

Visit ASHA online for more on LGBT sexual health, too.

–The STI Resource Center Staff