[Question #973] Herpes simplex 2

51 months ago
My daughter was diagnosed with herpes simplex 2 about a week ago and she retook the blood work and it came out positive for the 2nd time.   She has never been sexually active.  About 3 years ago she kissed a young man but she is not sure if he was infected.  I don't know what blood work her primary doctor ran but we are truly overwhelmed  and is distraught.  Should my husband and I get tested....maybe I had it when I became pregnant with her.  My husband was a womanizer.  I don't know where to go from here and to get some expertise in all of this.  Thank you.
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
51 months ago
I guess the first question that pops into my mind is why did she have a herpes antibody test done?
In order to help you more, I need to know the index value of the test result.  That is very very important.  In the low positive range, there are several false positives (1.1 to 3.5).  Can you get that for me?  If it is in that range, there is a good chance it is a false positive.  Let me know

Terri
---
51 months ago
I will definitely have my daughter get the test results but it won't be until tomorrow.  And yes that is what is really bothering me about the whole thing because she has been losing a lot of weight and she has iron infusions.  She asked the doctor to check for her iron and thyroid and the doctor went straight to telling her she had herpes 2.   
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
51 months ago
Wow, that seems inappropriate to me but I have no idea about the interaction between her and her physician.  I'll eagerly await the test results.  If she has never had sex then the HSV 2 is most likely to be a false positive.  I need to know if the test was an IgM or an IgG and what the index value is.  When I get that I can be far more helpful

Terri
---
51 months ago
I will definitely get this information for you.  You have been a great help in trying to ease our minds.  We are not out of the woods yet but I'm praying that this is all a human mistake.  I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to answer my question.   
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
51 months ago
Of course, Judith, happy to help if I can

Terri
---
51 months ago
Hi Ms. Warren, I got the test results this morning from Lab Corp and the doctor did order the test for sexual std's chlamydia, gonorrhea, trachomatis and HIV.   The test used was HSV 2 IgG result 2.29 flag high.  If you  need anything else please let me know.  Thank you and praying that you can provide us with good news. 
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
Terri Warren, RN, Nurse Practitioner
51 months ago
So at 2.29 there is a 60% chance this is a false positive and a 40% chance this is a true positive.  But I remain very confused about why not only herpes testing was done but a full battery of STD screens was done.  Are you certain your daughter is telling you the truth about not being sexually active?  If you are 100% certain then there is  no reason at all to pursue this (neonatal transmission with a health baby is extremely unlikely).  If there is any concern that she might actually have had sex and that's why all of this was done, then a confirmatory test should be run called a herpes western blot at the University of Washington.  The number is 800-713-5198 and it will need to be coordinated with her doctor for the draw.  This is your final post but if you have more questions, please write me back and renew.

Terri
---